bookworm – someone who reads a lot
- Jeremy is such a bookworm! I mean, he uses his library card more than his metro card!
eager beaver – someone who is extremely excited to start work on (or be involved in) a project
- Woah, hold on a second! Don’t be such an eager beaver – you still haven’t read the instructions!
teacher’s pet – a student who is constantly seeking positive affirmation or attention from the teacher
- The teacher’s pet is often accused of being a “suck-up” but that term is considered fairly rude.
Note: Another, related, term is to brown nose (noun: a brownnoser), but this, too, is considered rude.
copycat – a generally playful term used to describe someone who reproduces the work (or actions) of others
- Marcy is such a copycat; the minute I got a new backpack, she got one exactly like it.
tattletale – the name given to students who always report events back to authority figures
- Don’t be such a tattletale; no one else needs to know about the fight!
wise guy – the name give to someone who acts as if he or she knows everyone (and is often rude about it)
- Every class has a wise guy; sometimes he the class clown, other times he is a major teacher’s pet.
Note: Similar phrases like smart aleck and know-it-all are also common but have slightly different connotations.
bully – a mean-spirited person who enforces his or her will by the use of violence or other cruelty
- Every school has a bully but not every child needs to be a victim!
To be better prepared for school be sure to visit our dedicated school vocabulary page!